There are many fun and exciting things to do in Booneville. Whether you’re looking for a free fall festival or a more cultural event, this small town has something for everyone. You can visit the Slugburger Trail, check out the Rails and Trails Museum, or stroll around the downtown historic district. Here are 34 things to do in Booneville for free or cheap!
The Slugburger Trail is a culinary adventure through the history of one of America’s most popular burgers. In the 1950s, slugburgers were considered a delicacy. They cost just a nickel, hence the name. They were also known to be an excellent deal.
The town of Booneville is home to the famous Slugburger Trail. This trail consists of a number of places where slugburgers are served. The burgers are crunchy on the outside, but soft in the middle. They have a slight vinegary tang due to the toppings. The Slugburger Trail stretches from the Weeks Diner in Booneville to the towns of New Albany and Corinth.
While the name is a bit confusing, slugburgers are not actually made from slimy gastropods. They are a type of burger, and were first made by diner cooks during the Depression. Initially, they were made from potato flour, but these days are usually made from soybean grits. They are cooked in canola oil and eaten on a small bun.
A slugburger is an unusual kind of burger. It is made from beef or pork with an “extender” like soy flour. The burgers are usually topped with chopped onions and mustard. The slugburger is unique to southern Tennessee and northern Alabama and is often available only at small, greasy-spoon diners. In Booneville, a slugburger can be found at Weeks Diner, which is considered the original creator of the burger. Other slugburger-friendly restaurants include the White Trolley Cafe and Johnnie’s Drive-in.
Rails and Trails Museum
The Rails and Trails Museum is a great place to learn more about the area’s railroad history. It is housed in the historic Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Depot, which was built in 1890. It is part of the Downtown Booneville Historic District, which was added to the National Register of Places in 1998. You can see photographs, artifacts, and documents from the region’s history. The Prentiss County Genealogical and Historical Society operates the museum.
The town has two community parks and the John Bell Williams Wildlife Management Area, which are both perfect for outdoor recreation. Booneville also has the Rails and Trails Museum, Cunningham House, and Battle of Brice’s Crossroads Visitor’s Center. The town has a total of 489 businesses and establishments. Most of the labor force is employed in retail and service-oriented industries. The town is also home to two industrial parks. The Booneville-Prentiss County Industrial Park is located north of the downtown area.
Located near the National Forest, Booneville is home to the Rails and Trails Museum, which is free to visit. The town also features state and national parks that are great for outdoor recreation. Booneville is a good place to visit with kids, as it offers many activities for everyone. It is also close to several other larger cities, so there’s no shortage of things to do.
Booneville, Tennessee is an old, thriving community. Founded in 1828, this city has seen rapid growth and is home to several tourist attractions and restaurants. For those who are looking for a relaxing vacation in the area, this city is a great place to visit.
The Rails and Trails Museum is a great place for families to visit and learn more about the history of the Tennessee Central Railroad. The Tennessee Central Railroad was first built in 1884, carrying coal, natural resources, and manufactured goods. It lasted until 1968, but the tracks didn’t lie dormant for long.
Downtown Booneville Historic District
The Downtown Booneville Historic District is a place to visit if you are visiting the northeastern part of Mississippi. It is the county seat of Prentiss County and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. It is not to be confused with Prentiss, Mississippi, which is located in Jefferson Davis County.
The town was first incorporated in 1878 and was reincorporated in 1899. It is located on the banks of the Petit Jean River, beside the Ouachita National Forest and the Blue Mountain Lake. Mount Magazine, which stands 2,753 feet high, is nearby, and the town has hiking trails and picnic areas. In addition, Mount Magazine State Park has a visitor center and cabins.
In 1872, the old high school was constructed on the site of the current high school. It was a ten-room building. The building was a school that served the town’s public school system. It was built by the Prentiss County School System. The school closed in 1988, but the buildings between Fourth and Fifth Streets were left standing until 1993.